If you are a game developer or a curious gamer wanting a review or a test, email me at jcyuen7@gmail.com!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gnomoria: So the Gnomes Created a Time Machine...

http://gnomoria.com/

Gnomoria is an indie sandbox/strategy game developed by Robotronic Games. The game is still in it's alpha stage, and content is being added on a weekly basis.

When I first played the demo of Gnomoria, I was a little overwhelmed. I was having fun, but there was a lot to learn before I could get my feet off the ground. But after spending some time on some forums, sticking my nose in a wiki, I found this game to be one of the most enjoyable sandbox experiences I've ever had.

For some odd reason, you are granted control of a gnomadic (hah) tribe of gnomes who have finally decided to settle. Each gnome is assigned a job to complete, whether it's a woodcutter, a miner, or a builder (completely customizable).

One of the first things I noticed in this game; it's incredibly easy to pick up. For such a seemingly complex concept, things are right in front of you in the form of a menu. The UI is well made, and things are pretty self-explanatory (some things you WILL have to do some reading on though). The menus also make it incredibly easy to keep track of each individual gnome.
So many different stats...
So you start off by mining into some random wall to start your base, farm some land for food, cut some wood, etc. Seems simple enough. You build crafting stations to build furniture, walls, statues, weapons, bandages, or construct anything else your mind can conjure up. Slowly but surely, your kingdom will start to grow, your gnomes will have some beds to sleep on, and life appears easy.

...until the first summer, when the jealous goblins begin attacking. You'll learn quickly that you need to raise up an army to combat the incoming invasions. No really, you need to raise up an army. I think the first two times I played, I didn't make it past the second day of summer.

The gnome quarters, as well as the farms/pastures
As you survive and make your kingdom more mighty, you will attract more gnomads to immigrate on your land. But as your kingdom grows bigger, you attract more enemies, such as ogres, better equipped goblins, or the ever annoying mants. And really, there's not much else to write in terms of basic gameplay. The goals, the objectives, the stories write themselves. And while you're doing that, time just seems to fly.

I started naming my gnomes, and they began to create their own backstories. The game even keeps track of the enemies your gnomes kill.

I built a small town for funsies
 And while my first two gameplays only lasted 30 minutes (I died pretty fast), the current game I'm has me hooked with well over 25 hours.

Gnomoria might not be a fun game for everyone, but if you want an interesting take on a sandbox game and you love to create your own stories and you're willing to put in some time to learn, this is an amazing game. And while it's still in Alpha stage, the devs are highly receptive to player input. One can only wonder what kind of content is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment